Monday, October 22, 2007

Spice It Up!


Oh wow...I'm a fan of Aishwarya Rai ever since I saw her opposite Martin Henderson in Bride & Prejudice. And when I found out that she had another movie starring opposite another fave actor of mine, I wanted to get my hands on it.

The Mistress of Spices was released in 2005 and starred Aishwarya Rai and Dylan McDermott. Now I don't know if this movie was released in theaters or if it was an indie movie that was released in selected theaters only, BUT it took me 2 years before I finally watched it!

The movie was kinda draggy, I admit, but regardless of how draggy it was, I couldn't seem to pry myself away from the TV screen (I rented the movie at Blockbuster as soon as I saw it available!).

Now I know it's a fantasy-like story, but somehow I couldn't help myself from relating to the lead character, Tilo (played by Rai). She was a woman who grew up following tradition, and bound by the same tradition that kept her from experiencing life outside what she was shown. Of course there were rules, sacrilegious rules that once broken, certain doom awaits.

The movie's lesson behind the whole thing was well understood by yours truly. In the end I couldn't help but smile and believe that I can have the best of both worlds. Tilo wanted her spices and Doug (played by McDermott), but before she could live her fairy tale romance with the man of her life, she must be put through a test before handing her the end result.

No comments: