Monday, September 24, 2007

Nothing So Demonic

Lately I've been reading books centering around the paranormal: vampires, lycans, witches, demons, angels -- you name it, I'm reading it! Well, unless it doesn't fall under the "romance" category then I wouldn't give a damn about it.

It just so happen that while I was waiting patiently for the release of Susan Sizemore's latest vampire novel, I happen to come across this banner ad on AdultFanFiction. I don't know what made me click on the banner; maybe it was the author's name and I was always intrigued in finding out stories written by other unknown (as far as I'm concerned anyway) authors. I thought I'd be directed to another slash (male-male) site, but 'lo & behold, I was directed to an author's web site featuring her published books about Demons and Guardians and Angels. I started reading all her books that were published and I was intrigued, especially after reading an excerpt from her Demon Angel novel.

I quickly went to Barnes & Noble and started searching for Meljean Brook's novels. After I found them on sale, I quickly put it in my shopping cart and paid for them! That was how fascinated I was (not to mention antsy) to read her books.

The first book I read was the compilation Hot Spell. It was written by four talented authors, but I only enjoyed the second one, by Lora Leigh entited The Breed Next Door. That one was a fun read. Falling for Anthony was the story written by Meljean Brook. I didn't like it much, but it introduced me to two characters that I ended up falling for -- and they were the minor characters in this story! -LoL-

Now if you think that a few centuries' worth of foreplay ain't worth it, well, you'll have another think coming after you read Demon Angel, the story of Hugh and Lillith that spanned from the year 1200's all the way to 2007!

After I read Falling for Anthony, which was included in the Hot Spell compilation, I wasn't really too happy about the way it was written nor was I all for Anthony & Emily (the lead characters in the book). I was, however, more intrigued about its three minor characters, namely Hugh, Lillith and Colin. I knew after reading Falling for Anthony that a second book was already out and it was the story of the Guardian, Hugh, and the Demon, Lillith. I was elevated to Cloud 9 when Colin made more than minor appearances throughout the book. The humour and banter between Hugh and Lillith were well written; Colin's snotty, aristocratic demeanor was just...well, I say he'd be damn irritable if ever you meet him, but his character was written in a way that you'd fall in love with him even though he was soooooo vain!

It took me a while to finish reading this book, but I started it as soon as I finished reading Hot Spell and now...well, now I can't wait to read about Colin and Savitri's story. And I already have it on hold and ready to be shipped out from Barnes & Noble in case I don't find it in any of the bookstores here.

No comments: