Friday, September 7, 2007

Eclipse...a Not-So-Final Chapter IMO

I just finished reading Eclipse and I have to admit, this is the LONGEST it took me to finish a book in a series that I am really in to, especially since I already have the copy with me a few days after the book was released, but I was on a 2-and-a-half-week holiday and we were driving so my reading the boo was on and off.

But before I go on any further with my review of this third and final (I believe) installment of the story of Bella and Edward, I must WARN YOU that I'll be mentioning instances in the book
that will spoil the whole book for you if you haven't read it yet or if you haven't finished the book yet. So before you continue on further, consider yourself warned about the possible spoilers (I can't really review without pointing out certain events in the book, can I now?)


Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Anyway, I finally finished reading the book and I must say I am both happy and sad at the same time.

As usual Ms. Meyer delivered the way she did in the first two books, but I couldn't help but root more for Edward in this book and right from the very beginning Bella was starting to grate at my nerves. It didn't help matters that Jacob was being impossibly difficult as well.

Both Bella and Jacob were stubborn and poor Edward being the patient, understanding vampire that he was. I could empathize with Bella's frustration, which was what I believe Ms. Meyer wanted to achieve, and with Jacob being madly in love with her, it didn't help matters for her nor did it ease things up between her, Edward and Jacob.

I, however, loved the banter especially when the three of them are together. I still didn't understand why Jessica all of a sudden became friendly with Bella. It was never really explained, but her attending the after-grad party thrown by the Cullens as a joint party for Alice, Edward & Bella, I accepted the reason that she was friendly with Bella for the sole purpose of getting a glimpse of the inside of the Cullens' household.

I'm at least glad that the werewolves and the vampires found a civilized way to work together, and that common link wasPhoto Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Bella. If you ask me about my most favourite chapter in the book? It was nearing the end, when Bella, Edward and Jacob were camped out somewhere in the middle of nowhere and there was a huge snow storm that ripped through the place. As usual Jacob and Edward couldn't stand each other's 'scent' so Jacob, being furry and running a temperature of one-oh-eight (or something close to those digits) chose to remain outside where the cold doesn't bother him the least in his wolf form while Edward remained inside. In the end the tent was too cold and Bella was frozen.

The argument Jacob and Edward had was ridiculously funny, especially when Jacob transformed back to his human form and entered the tent, muttering something about fetching a space heater. (MystykRaine's Note: make sure to read this chapter, you won't be disappointed!) They argued, but it was because they both cared for Bella. And the conversation they had while Bella was in-between sleep gave us an insight into the fears of both male characters. Of course Jacob's was more on the selfish side, taunting Edward of some of the benefits he could give Bella that Edward couldn't, but at least we were given an insight on Edward's real feelings about the situation.

To me that was the main highlight of the whole story; the climax, if you like to call it. But I'm still miffed 'coz even though Jacob knew Bella wouldn't be his, he was insistent and Bella was easily swayed. Of course she loves Jacob, but will her love for him the kinda love she has for Edward or something along the lines of friendly-brotherly love? She admitted it earlier in the book that she loves Jacob, but as a brother. But in the end...I have to say I waited with baited breath for the moment when Bella would turn an about face and run away with Jacob into the sunset, leaving Edward with a broken heart!

Thank goodness that didn't happen, but the epilogue left me wondering IF Ms. Meyer would write a book centering on Jacob Black's character.

In as much as Jacob annoyed me in this book, I still liked him. I couldn't help but picture him as this really cool, big teddy bear of a guy.

I guess in real life things like Bella's situation happens. But that's one crappy situation to be put in, don't you think so?

No comments: